Internet Anthropologist Think Tank: Hacker ransoms Virginia med records

  • Search our BLOG


  • HOME
    Terrorist Names SEARCH:
    Loading

    Thursday, May 07, 2009

    Hacker ransoms Virginia med records

    May 3, 2009
    Summary

    On Thursday, April 30, the secure site for the Virginia Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP) was replaced with a $US10M ransom demand:

    "I have your shit! In *my* possession, right now, are 8,257,378 patient records and a total of 35,548,087 prescriptions. Also, I made an encrypted backup and deleted the original. Unfortunately for Virginia, their backups seem to have gone missing, too. Uhoh :(For $10 million, I will gladly send along the password."

    The site, https://www.pmp.dhp.virginia.gov/pmpwebcenter/login.aspx appears to have been entirely disabled and is presently unavailable.

    The linked file provides the full ransom message.

    The PMP is used by pharmacists and others to discover prescription drug abuse.

    The PMP declined to comment, although when contacted, appeared to be aware of the issue, instantly referring inquiries to the director of the DHP, who is presently unavailable.

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    From its home page:

    ATTENTION VIRGINIA

    I have your shit! In *my* possession, right now, are 8,257,378 patient records and a total of35,548,087 prescriptions. Also, I made an encrypted backup and deleted the original. Unfortunately for Virginia, their backups seem to have gone missing, too. Uhoh :(

    For $10 million, I will gladly send along the password. You have 7 days to decide. If by the end of 7 days, you decide not to pony up, I'll go ahead and put this baby out on the market and accept the highest bid. Now I don't know what all this shit is worth or who would pay for it, but I'm bettin' someone will. Hell, if I can't move the prescription data at the very least I can find a buyer for the personal data (name,age,address,social security #, driver's license #).

    Now I hear tell the Fucking Bunch of Idiots ain't fond of payin out, but I suggest that policy be turned right the fuck around. When you boys get your act together, drop me a line at hackingforprofit@yahoo.com and we can discuss the details such as account number, etc.

    Until then, have a wonderful day, I know I will ;)

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



    I think he will be caught soon.

    Gerald

    .

    Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home