Rich harvest, malware bots
How much information can be collected by a single piece of malware?
According to a recent GCN.com article, one botnet alone harvested the usernames and passwords of:
- 8,485 bank accounts
- 3,233 credit card accounts
- 151,000 e-mail accounts
- 58,391 social networking site accounts
- 4,237 online retailer accounts
- 416 stock trading accounts
- 869 payment processor accounts
- 413 mortgage accounts
- 422 finance company accounts
That’s a wealth of information – nearly 500 gigabytes to be exact – and it represents only six months of operations. For more information on this specific botnet, take a look at the full article on the malware responsible for it, the Coreflood Trojan.